Black Cockatoo fundraiser

Many thanks to all who tossed in a few coins for the Black Cockatoo fundraiser.  We raised about $117.  There is a jar on the reception desk, in the office.  Please send more coins if you can.  I will send off a cheque early next week.

When I attend the 2016 Friends of Underwood Avenue Bushland Annual General Meeting on Saturday I will let them know how much we have raised for Kaarakin.

Afterwards is a talk by Dr Anna le Souef entitled

‘The Secret Life of Cockatoos: The latest research in the race to save the Carnaby’s cockatoo’.

I will feed back to you what I learn about how the fight to save the black cockatoos is going. Meanwhile, here’s a bit more information…

Black Cockatoos

There are three species of black cockatoo in Western Australia, all of them under threat of extinction!

Carnaby’s Cockatoo

With its famous white tail and ‘wee-loo’ call, most people in Perth recognise this iconic species. They migrate back and forth from the Swan Coastal Plain where they feed during the summer, to the Wheatbelt where they breed in tree hollows during the winter. The only problem is, 90% of what is now the Wheatbelt used to be bushland, and this cockatoo is running out of places to breed and feed.

Learn More

Posted in: SPORT. Bookmark the permalink.

About MsAlgar

I coordinate and teach Health & Physical Education at Glengarry Primary School. I am available to talk Tuesday to Friday before & after school. I hope this blog helps us to keep in touch!